Anteaeolidiella indica (Bergh, 1888) 16mm
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
Frequency on Okinawa:
- Order: NUDIBRANCHIA
- Suborder: Aeolidina
- Family: Aeolidiidae
[brackets indicate range for all Okinawa-collected specimens of the species]
- Individual Collection No: RFB #2044-A (5 individuals)
- Location: Kyoda Boat Basin, Imbu, 2.8 km E of Benseno-misaki, Okinawa (26o32.3'N, 127o57.6'E)
- Date: 19 February, 1989
- Depth: Intertidal
- Water temperature not recorded; air temperature approx. 68oF (20oC)
- Size: TL 16mm (5 individuals ranged from 11mm to 16mm)
- Specimen deposited: RFB Personal Research Collection
- Photo Data: Original Kodachrome shot at 1.5:1
Anteaeolidiella indica was previously included in the genus Aeolidiella but it has more recently [Miller, 2001] been placed in the monotypic genus Anteaeolidiella. Previously on these pages the above featured animal was listed as Aeolidiella indica.
Anteaeolidiella indica is considered to be very rare on
Okinawa as I have collected only five individuals; the five specimens were simultaneously collected from the intertidal zone at the perimeter of a small commercial boat basin. The
area was composed of strewn rock rubble amid silty sand. The specimens were found beneath
two separate rocks as they were being overturned; the rocks were covered with a dense growth
of a leafy green alga (Ulva sp.). One of the rocks supported two individuals while
the other had three. Ova were seen in close proximity to both animal groups.
The animal has been known under many names, many of which were synonymized by Gosliner & Griffiths (1981) including Aeolidiella takanosimensis (Baba, 1930).
- Baba, K. 1930. Studies on Japanese nudibranchs (3). Venus 2(3): 117-125, pl. 4.
- Gosliner, T.M. & Griffiths, R.J. 1981. Description and revision of some South African
aeolidacean Nudibranchia (Mollusca, Gastropoda). Annals of the South African
Museum, 84(2): 105-150.
- Miller, M. C. 2001. Aeolid nudibranchs (Gastropoda: Opisthobranchia) of the family Aeolidiidae from New Zealand waters. Journal of Natural History, 35: 629-662.
Page Date: 18 Apr '05
Page Modification Date: 18 Apr '05
Digitally manipulated photo (image has been horizontally flipped)
Copyright © 2005 Robert F. Bolland