Discodoris cf. palma Allan, 1933 (42mm)
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
Frequency on Okinawa:
- Order: NUDIBRANCHIA
- Suborder: Doridina
- Family: Discodorididae
[brackets indicate range for all Okinawa-collected specimens of the species]
- Individual Collection No: RFB #2527-E
- Location: Seragaki, Okinawa (26o 30.4'N, 127o 52.6'E)
- Date: 5 May, 1991 [only a single collected indiv.]
- Depth: 5ft (1.5m)
- Water temperature at collection depth: Not recorded
- Size: TL 42mm [only a single collected indiv.]
- Specimen deposited: California Academy of Sciences
Discodoris cf.* palma is considered to be very rare in the waters off Okinawa's main island as I have seen and collected only the above featured animal. Discodoris cf. palma appears to be very similar to Discodoris palma illustrated in Marshall & Willan (1999, fig. 125, p. 219). See also Willan & Coleman (1984, p. 37, fig. 111). Richard Willan (pers. comm., 2003) suggested that although the featured above animal certainly resembles D. palma, because of the geographical separation (an Australian endemic?) and lack of anything currently known
in-between, it would be perhaps best to list the Okinawa animal as Discodoris cf. palma.
The Okinawa specimen was collected in an area of mixed silty-sand and coral rubble during a mid-day SCUBA excursion from five feet. It was found on the undersurface of a slab of coral rubble as it was overturned.
Three additional described Discodoris species are known from Okinawa's main island. These are:
In addition, I have the following two unidentified Discodoris species featured as well:
* cf. See a short page, Miscellaneous Abbreviations, for an explanation.
- L. palma, the palm of the hand, sometimes used in the sense of being broad, such as the broad mantle seen in Discodoris palma.
- Marshall, J.G. & Willan, R.C. 1999. Nudibranchs of Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef -
A Survey of the Opisthobranchia (Sea Slugs) of Heron and Wistari Reefs. Backhuys
- Willan, R.C. and Coleman, N. 1984. Nudibranchs of Australasia. Australasian Marine Photographic Index, Caringbah, New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
Page Date: 21 Apr '03
Page Modification Date: 21 Mar '05
Digitally manipulated photo
Copyright © 2005 Robert F. Bolland