Dorid unk. species #1 (ca. 4mm)
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
Frequency on Okinawa:
- Order: NUDIBRANCHIA
- Suborder: Doridina
- Family: ?
[brackets indicate range for all Okinawa-collected specimens of the species]
- Individual Collection No: RFB #3384-G
- Location: Seragaki, Okinawa (26o 30.4'N, 127o 52.6'E)
- Date: 8 April, 1995 [only a single specimen]
- Depth: 180ft (55m)
- Water temperature at collection depth: 66oF (19oC)
- Size: TL ca. 4mm [only a single specimen]
- Specimen deposited: California Academy of Sciences
- Photo Data: Original Kodachrome shot at 3:1
Dorid unk. species #1 is considered to be very rare in the waters of Okinawa's main island as I have seen and collected only the above featured animal. This small animal was collected during a mid-morning Scuba excursion from an area of mixed sand and coral rubble, amid numerous thallophytes (browns, greens, and reds).
I've added a second page with several additional images of the same animal.
Page Date: 15 Aug '05
Page Modification Date: 15 Aug '05
Digitally manipulated photo
Copyright © 2005 Robert F. Bolland