Ercolania sp. 2 (3.5mm)
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
Photo by Atsushi Ono
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
Frequency on Okinawa:
- Order: SACOGLOSSA
- Family: Limapontiidae
[brackets indicate range for all Okinawa-collected specimens of the species]
- Individual Collection No: Atsushi Ono #O-661
- Location: Zamami Island, Kerama Islands, Okinawa
- Date: 20 April, 2002 [only a single collected animal]
- Depth: 20ft (6m)
- Water temperature at collection depth: ca. 72oF (ca. 22oC)
- Size: TL 3.5mm [only a single collected animal]
- Specimen deposited: Chiba University, Japan
I've not personally seen Ercolania sp. 2 here in the waters of Okinawa's main island and Atsushi Ono mentions (pers. comm.) seeing perhaps only the above single individual in the Keramas* and of course considers the species to be very rare there. Atsushi found the animal on a rope in a fish preserve in association with miscellaneous algae.
I've previously featured an additional Ercolania species on these pages, also from Zamami Island in the Keramas, Ercolania sp. 1.
* Keramas = the Kerama Islands Group, located 30 ~ 40 kilometers west of the Okinawa capitol, Naha.
Page Date: 20 Nov '06
Page Modification Date: 20 Nov '06
Digitally manipulated photo
Copyright © 2006 Robert F. Bolland