Phaneropthalmus sp. 1 (ca.20mm)
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
Photo by Shawn Miller
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
Frequency on Okinawa:
- Order: CEPHALASPIDEA
- Family: Haminoeidae
[brackets indicate range for all Okinawa-collected specimens of the species]
- Individual Collection No: Shawn Miller [photo only]
- Location: Maeda-misaki (Maeda Point), Okinawa (26o 26.5'N, 127o 46.9'E) [Maeda, Kadena North Steps]
- Date: 06 May, 2012 [4 indiv. animals (photos only): 6 May '12, 25 May '12, 6 Jun '12]
- Depth: ca. 4ft (ca. 1.2m) [all four photographed animals from ca. 4ft or less]
- Water temperature at collection depth: Not recorded
- Size: TL ca. 20mm [all four photographed animals ca. 20mm]
- Specimen deposited: Photo only, without specimen
- Photo Data: Nikon D90 in Ikelite Housing / 105mm Nikon Micro / Ikelite DS160 Strobe
Phaneropthalmus sp. 1 is considered to be rare in the waters of Okinawa's main island; I've not
personally found this animal, however the above illustrated individual was photographed by Shawn Miller and three additional animals were photographed by Randy Birt. I've added a second page with images of the three Okinawa-photographed animals by Randy. All four of the animals were found on night dives from several Okinawa sites.
Nishina Masayoshi (2002) has an image of a similar animal from Japan (Hachijo Island) posted on the Sea Slug Forum. Gosliner, et al (2008, p. 29) also show a very similar animal.
The following information is taken from Gosliner, et al (2008):
Identification: This species has predominately white pigment on the mantle with scattered darker spots.
Natural History: Found under coral rubble in shallow water under coral rubble.
Distribution: This small species has been found from Madagascar, the Philippines, Guam, and Japan.
- Gosliner, T.M., D.W. Behrens, & Á. Valdés 2008. Indo-Pacific Nudibranchs and Sea Slugs. Sea Challengers, Gig Harbor, WA.
- Masayoshi, N., 2002 (Apr 26) Phanerophthalmus? from Hachijo Island, Japan. [Message in] Sea Slug Forum. Australian Museum, Sydney. Available from http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/6663.
Page Date: 13 Aug '12
Page Modification Date: 13 Aug '12
Digitally manipulated photo
Copyright © 2012 Robert F. Bolland